Us military

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

DonMurphyCanada

Us military

Post by DonMurphyCanada »

My son has a Wells Fargo account with an IRA account and he is an officer in the US Marines. He was just deployed to Okinawa in Japan and is living on a us base, Essentially Wells Fargo is telling him he has to liquidate his brokerage account because he is out of the country because he is going to be out of country for over 6 months of the year that He needs to liquidate all my assets in his brokerage account. Even while pleading that I was in the military they could not help. They want him to call during their working hours (practically impossible considering the time zone difference and when I mentioned that they just said something like "Yea it will be difficult") to do this transfer.

He does have an app address. Is the bank correct in this this seems crazy is this because there is no tax treaty with Japan?