Wealthsimple Joint Cash Account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jriddy

Wealthsimple Joint Cash Account

Post by jriddy »

My (CA citizen, US NRA) wife wants to open a joint cash account with wealthsimple, but I (US citizen, CA PR) worry that this might be considered a passive investment account under US tax law. Does anyone know anything about this?

What are the rules for having savings accounts, and what qualifications do they need to meet to avoid the passive investment tax penalties?
nelsona

Re: Wealthsimple Joint Cash Account

Post by nelsona »

It is a PFIC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Have it only in her name
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jriddy

Post by jriddy »

Is there a good summary somewhere of what investments I *can* touch in Canada without involving deep IRS complications? Other than bank savings accounts, employer-sponsored RRSPs, and general personal investments like real estate, I'm not sure where to look
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can have private RRSPs, and you can hold individual stocks. Mutual funds and Cdn based ETFs are generally to be avoided. That is not to say that you can't have any investment, but other than the ones mentioned, you are getting into heavier IRS reporting.