Doing Business in Canada with US Firm?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pwml

Doing Business in Canada with US Firm?

Post by pwml »

I have been employed under TN status with the same firm here in the US for the last 4 years.

However I may have to ask for a leave of absence to return back home for a few months for personal reasons. While I struggle to make this decision, I was wondering if there is any possible way that I could still work for this firm while in Canada. Could I set up a small, home based business in Canada and contract myself back to the firm, performing much the same duties as I do now - except remotely? My job is such that this is quite possible. (I worked for about a month from my US home last year after a nasty leg break - everyone thought it went quite well!)

Aside from the business set up and tax implications on the CA end for me - are there are negative aspects/tax implications etc for the US firm? If this leave does indeed happen, I would of course consult an accountant before doing anything, but I was just wondering if this is even a viable option.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you set yourself up as a contrator this is quite easy, since the firm would then not be responsible for any fringe benefits, nor for ant Cdn tax withholding.

They would simply cut you a check every month and be done with it.

If you wanted to remain an employee, they would now be responsible for setting up a Cdn payroll, and *might* even have to file a Cdn tax return -- not entiely desirable from their point of view.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
Carson

Post by Carson »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelsona</i>

If you wanted to remain an employee, they would now be responsible for setting up a Cdn payroll, and *might* even have to file a Cdn tax return -- not entiely desirable from their point of view.
<i>nelsona non grata</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

FYI, I don't believe "might" would apply in this case. Having a Canadian employee means a Canadian branch has been set up, thereby requiring a Canadian T2 corporate tax return.

There is a big penalty these days for non-Canadian corporations who "conduct business in Canada" and who do not file the required return.

---------
Regards,

Carson Hirner