Corporate structure for US/CA Citizen

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxquestions

Corporate structure for US/CA Citizen

Post by taxquestions »

Current scenario:
•$150,000 CAD yr taxable sole-prop income (Canadian sourced)
•US/CA citizen
•Canadian resident

Wishful scenario:
•Canadian Corp (SBD) tax rate (15%)
•$47,630 Non-Eligible Dividend Salary (6.87%)

Not sure if Canadian Corp is viable because CFC and Subpart F / GILTI tax. With "current scenario" whats the most economical tax strategy? Is a Canadian Corp still advantageous tax wise?
Rampant

Re: Corporate structure for US/CA Citizen

Post by Rampant »

I have a similar scenario that I'm trying to evaluate; I realize for filing/organizing I'll be enlisting professional help but I wanted to get the broad strokes on if my US citizenship will complicate or neutralize the advantages of incorporating.

$350,000 CAD /yr total between two clients, both Canadian sourced.
US/CAN citizen.
Canadian Resident.

Ideally I'd incorporate, pay myself a modest T4 salary from the corporation, take a portion of corporate profits as dividends, push a bunch of my self-employment costs to the corp, etc. My question is while I'm familiar with reporting Canadian income and tax paid to the IRS and utilizing the foreign tax credit/earned income exclusion, I'm not sure if there are any US tax rules on those CCPC non-eligible dividends that negate or cut in to the advantage on the Canadian side.

Thanks.