Billing to US Employer through my Canadian Corp on TN Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

vishu

Billing to US Employer through my Canadian Corp on TN Visa

Post by vishu »

Hi All,

I apologise if questions i have already been discussed on this forum previously . I have job offer (onsite) from US emaployer and i have to advise then regarding the payment arrangemnt.

Can i bill the US company and ask them to pay my Canadian corp in Canada.
What are the tax implications if i follow above payment structure.Do i pay any taxes in US ? I assume i will have to do same taxes what one would do in Canada for their corp.
I am assuming the TN visa will be issued to me as individual even though the payment are done to my Canadian corp.
I would really appreacite if i get feedback on above question or if it has already been discusse then direct me to the discussion.

Thanks
Vishu
nelsona

Re: Billing to US Employer through my Canadian Corp on TN Visa

Post by nelsona »

The TN (issued to you, sponsored by the US firm) allows you to work in US. But the structure of how you are paid is up to you.

Corp-to-corp is fine.You will not have US tax to pay so long as you do not spend more than 1/2 your days in US in any 365 day period.
If you act as a Cdn corp, you will need to file a corp return in US, but just to report its existence, not pay tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
vishu

Post by vishu »

I really appreciate your time and guidnace . Could you please tell me which corp tax return i would need to file in US to report existence of my Cdn corp.

Regards,
Vishu
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS Form 1120-F.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D