LLC of a US/CA citizen operating in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxquestions

LLC of a US/CA citizen operating in Canada

Post by taxquestions »

Im a dual US/CA citizen. Im a resident of Ontario, Canada. I would like to see how this scenario would be taxed.

1) If I open a US LLC and sell / operate in Canada (while a Canadian resident) how would I be taxed? Would this result in double taxation? Who would have first rights to tax me and would I be able to use this as a credit to offset taxes owed to the other country? Would I be hit with both US Self-employment tax (SS/Medicare) and Canadian CPP? Any way to circumvent this?

2) How would the same scenario play out if I was to sell / operate in the USA?
taxquestions

Re: LLC of a US/CA citizen operating in Canada

Post by taxquestions »

Allan explains it well here, but hes assuming the income is from the USA only (ill mostly be selling in Canada using Amazon.ca FBA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFt6DCFX3k

Summary: CRA recognizes an LLC as a separate corporation, not as a pass through entity and therefore I am double taxed. He recommends a limited partnership

Im going to do more reading on limited partnerships. Basically what I want is a seperate US legal entity so I can open an Amazon.ca seller account using this entity and not be double-taxed by Canada and the USA. Suggestions?