Consolidating 3 RESP accounts into 1

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Consolidating 3 RESP accounts into 1

Post by CdnAmerican »

Hi all - I am a USC with 3 separate RESP accounts for my daughters. These each contain Cdn mutual funds. I set these up before I appreciated the US tax implications of them, but at this point I am up to date, filing separate 3520/3520A forms for each, as well as the 8621's associated with the mutual funds. I use Mark-to-Market each year, so that I am accounting for gains (or occasionally losses) each year within these accounts.

it recently hit me that I could consolidate these RESP accounts into a single account, and that I could make this account a stock/cash account, so that I did not have to mess with the 8621's.

So, I have 2 questions:
1) Would there be any tax implications to doing this? (The first year, I know I would have to file 4 3520/3520A's, as well as all the 8621's, but after that I should just have a single 3520/3520A.)
2) Would I count this as a 'distribution' on my 3520/3520A?

I've seen lots of info about RESP's on this forum, of course, but haven't come across this specific question, probably because most people just have a single RESP to start with. Thanks in advance!
Not a professional opinion.