Canadian EAP taxable?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SirTaxedAlot

Canadian EAP taxable?

Post by SirTaxedAlot »

Greetings.

My son is working towards a degree at a US University in TX and has received a distribution from a Canadian education assistance plan my sister started when he was younger. Would the EAP payment be non-taxable? A 15% witholding has already been applied.

Thanks
SirTaxedAlot

RESP by any other name

Post by SirTaxedAlot »

OK well, apparently my son is the beneficiary of an RESP that is taxable. So as a foreign trust, a 3520 and 3520-A has to be submitted by March 15...wonderful! He just recently received the NR4 statement.

So my next questions/conclusions would be since he is the US beneficiary:
1 - He can claim a foreign tax credit on the Cnd witholding for the full distribution
2 - Since my sister (Canadian residing in Canada) is the Grantor/owner of the trust and made all of the contributions, do I need her statements from the plan to complete the above mentioned forms? or since the whole distribution is taxable...does it matter?

TIA
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The 3520 trust reporting is a pain. However the tax issue should be a problem.

The income is reportable, and the 15% witheld can be used either asa credit or itemized deduction (depending on which yeilds a lower US tax rate).

I would just make it all taxable, his other deductions and credits should wipe out any tax.

he may even be able to file a 217 return in Canada and reduce the 15% Cdn portion even lower.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D