Best way to transfer TFSA and brokerage account to USA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

uscanadataxes

Best way to transfer TFSA and brokerage account to USA

Post by uscanadataxes »

Hello,
I hope to have an advice about these 2 Canadian account:
1. I have a brokerage Canadian account that holds stocks. The value of the account when we left Canada for USA few years ago was about US3000, now US6000. Purchased price was US4000.
2. I have TFSA that holds a stock, approximately same values - US3000 when we left Canada, US6000 now. Purchase price US1000.
I really want to close the Canadian accounts to have fewer things to report on FBAR, but I don't want to sell the stocks yet.
What would be the best action plan to transfer these to US without paying too much taxes?
If I transfer these stock to a US investment account - would I need to pay taxes to US on the income now (on $6000 from both account or based on purchase price on $7000)? Or I'll only pay when I eventually sell the stocks? If I pay taxes now what happens if the stock goes down in the future and I sell for less compared to what I have now?
I'll probably need to pay tax on the brokerage account to Canada right away anyway?
Very confused, please help. Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Re: Best way to transfer TFSA and brokerage account to USA

Post by nelsona »

Call a US broker, and have them transfer the stocks to US. This will not trigger a taxable event.

The stocks in the brokerage account will be taxable only at time of sale, in US, not Canada, since they were already reported as deemed disposed when you left Canada. You will owe on the gain since the deemed disposition, or on the entire gain, whichever is less, depending on whether you use the treaty provision on deemed disposition.

The TFSA is treated the same way, except that you have no option but to pay tax on the entire gain. These accounts were never sheltered in US, so if there was any income distributed to the TFSA over the years, you had to reported in those years. The TFSA also may requires special 3520 reporting that you can research on this site.

You cannot transfer mutual funds, and most Cdn stocks. Anything you sell will trigger the above processes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D