Not withhold taxes form for US via Canadian Inc.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hmashruf

Not withhold taxes form for US via Canadian Inc.

Post by hmashruf »

Hi, I will be teaching online via my Canadian Inc. for some US based inc; that would potentially pay to my Canadian Inc.
So as not to withhold any taxes on US side, what form should my Inc. submit?
Thanks.
nelsona

Re: Not withhold taxes form for US via Canadian Inc.

Post by nelsona »

W-8BEN and/or Form 8233.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hmashruf

Post by hmashruf »

Hi,

Both the forms appears to be for/related to foreign Individuals.

Mine is Canadian Federal Incorporation. Myself and my wife are owners of it.

Would you please advice if an alternate form would apply in this case?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then it becomes more complicated, as your are a foreign corporation doing business in US. Form 1120-F is more complicated.

You might want to consider just being hired as self-employed for these gigs, or as an employee of your corporation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you invoicing through the corporation, there should not be withholding by the payor (that's what confused me when you asked about withholding -- there is never tax withheld on an invoice).

There would also be no tax, But your corp need to file 1120-F as a protective return (ie to prove that you owe no tax).