Checking on form 8938 and 114 filing requirements

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

francis12

Checking on form 8938 and 114 filing requirements

Post by francis12 »

I am a Canadian citizen on a TN visa working in the US for years now, have 3 rental properties in Canada, have a personal bank account in Canada only for these properties, and have a property manager who has a trust account.

I have always understood the following:

1. I don't need to file IRS form 8938 as rental real estate is not considered something needed for that form and the Canadian bank account makes no interest.
2. I don't need to file IRS form 114 (FBAR) as my personal bank account has not gone over $10K and is a no interest account. It has come close to $10K CDN a couple of times but that $10K US threshold has never been hit.
3. The real estate property management company is a bona fide company with probably over 100 customers so not just 'a guy'. They have a trust account that I believe is used for all customers. Net monthly profit (if any) from my 3 properties is kept in their account from time to time when a big expense (ie: new roof for $10K+, new windows for $10K+) is scheduled to come up to be paid. This may take a few months to get to $10K just to pay off the invoice when it comes in. From there they pay all the money out to the roofer or window company. Looking over the requirements again, I believe I don't need to file IRS form 114 as I don't have authority over that account (used for many clients of course) and they pay directly from the account once an invoice for work comes in.

So is this correct (ie: I don't need to file form 8938 or form 114)?

Thank you.
nelsona

Re: Checking on form 8938 and 114 filing requirements

Post by nelsona »

Sounds right.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
francis12

Re: Checking on form 8938 and 114 filing requirements

Post by francis12 »

Thank you Nelsona.