RPP interest as a US tax resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lduchesne

RPP interest as a US tax resident

Post by lduchesne »

Hello,

I couldn't find any question regarding this topic so apologies if I missed it.

I am originally from Canada and now a US resident for tax purposes (for the whole year). I was wondering how to deal with interest from a Canadian RPP (University pension fund). The interest stays in the pension fund, but I wonder how it should be declared in the US.

Some context: last year my taxes were done by a big firm, which took those interests and basically added them to my revenues, as-is. Is there a provision between Canada and the US to make those non-taxable? If so, what forms should I be looking at?

Thanks!
Laurent
nelsona

Re: RPP interest as a US tax resident

Post by nelsona »

The interest is not taxable in US year over year. When you take your pension, it will be taxable in Canada, and if you are a US resident at that time, it will be taxable then, with credit given for the Cdn tax.

The firm mishandled this simple issue.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lduchesne

Re: RPP interest as a US tax resident

Post by lduchesne »

I was going over last year's return and thought it to be a mistake: thank you for confirming. I will ask them to fix it :)