Tax Prep for Canadian now living in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

beck4368

Tax Prep for Canadian now living in US

Post by beck4368 »

Hello All,

Was hoping I could get some leads on where to start. I live and work in the United States (Detroit). MY wife just received her CR-1 and moved on Sunday to Detroit from Windsor. She still works for her Canadian company in Windsor and commutes.

Other than changing her taxation status with her employer, is there anything that we need to do now in order to make filing our 2018 taxes go smoother?

Any insight as to what to expect when it comes time to file? I have a hard enough time taking care of my own (very simple) taxes, let alone dealing with international taxation laws ect.
nelsona

Re: Tax Prep for Canadian now living in US

Post by nelsona »

There is nothing really to change with her employer, since she is still working on Ontario soil, she will still be subject to the same withholding as before, and will pay tax in Canada on that income (but should not on any other Cdn-sourced income).

You will file as any other couple, but will take credit for her Cdn taxes on Form 1116. Any software package can handle this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D