Canadian working in US on TN Visa - Social Security Tax exempt?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

grrrrraham

Canadian working in US on TN Visa - Social Security Tax exempt?

Post by grrrrraham »

Hey guys just a quick question and wondering if I'd be exempt at all from paying Social Security tax as a short term contractor in the states? I'm a Canadian resident/citizen working in the states for four months on a TN visa. I am moving back in December.

Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Canadian working in US on TN Visa - Social Security Tax exempt?

Post by nelsona »

If you are paid as an employee of the US firm (Ie. W-2) then yes you are subject to SS and Medicare. If you are paid in other manners (1099 or corp-to-corp), you are exempt from SS and Medicare.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Re: Canadian working in US on TN Visa - Social Security Tax exempt?

Post by nelsona »

In fact if you are not paid as an employee, you are exempt from IRS tax altogether.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D