Am I a non resident or deemed non - resident?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

KevKiki

Am I a non resident or deemed non - resident?

Post by KevKiki »

Hi Folks,

I left Canada to live with my USC wife on October 1, 2005. I have not secured a position yet in the USA so my income for 2005 is from my Canadian job and RRSP cash in. I canclled my drivers licence in BC and healthcare. I have no property in Canada.

The one thing is I worked for Canada Post, a Crown Corporation and took a year leave (in essence...haven't quit outright Canada Post...they have to hold my position)with the intention of quitting as I found a position in the US.
Does this effect my being a non resident as of Dec 31, 2005 for tax purposes or does the cancellation olf DL, Health, etc. suffice?

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Kev
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

Forgot to mention I am a permanent resident in the US with a green card, SSN, etc.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are a non-resident, pure and simple, from Oct 01, 2005.

You will file an 'exit return' using the forms for your province, and the "Emigrants' Guide", using 10/01/2005 as your departure date.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

Sorry for my slow Thank You nelsona..I have been away...

So basically US RETURN...Going to file married joint, do I just exempt my Canadain income using form 2555 or 2555 EZ .......not sure of the difference, and claim RRSP's with form 8891" Missing anything????

Canada Return:..File a departure file..do not declare RRSP income as it was already taxed at 25%..(do I include the NR4 bank receipt to them BTW)?Declare my income while working in Canada..none in US yet).Enough?

I put married and "Non resident-us citizen" when they ask about my wife's SIN BTW...is that okay?

Thanks for your time.Appreciate it.

Best,

Kev
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You shouldn't include your NR slips.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

Thanks Nelsona? Does the rest of my plan seem correct for my two returns?

I saw a line on my Cdn return for a T4RSP which I assume I don't need to do..I never received one of these slips anyway..

Best,

Kev
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please re-read the "Emigrants Guide". Its pretty clear on what income should be reported after your departure: no foreign income and no Cdn income for which NR tax is withheld at source.
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

I read the guide..Thanks Nelsona...My wife and I filed joint in the US and declared my CDN income..

I'm assuming then that I will file my CDN return as 1. My CDN income for 2005. 2. Mark "Married - Non resident US spouse" on the return and NOT declare her income to Rev Can. for 2005.

Correct? Thanks for the assistance.