Taxes on Canadian GIC if I live in the US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

minster

Taxes on Canadian GIC if I live in the US

Post by minster »

TLDR: Is income earned from a GIC in Canada considered purely interest income? Meaning there won't be any taxes held at source, and I just need to declare it on my 1040 using the NR4 I will receive? just like a regular bank account? Are there other complications I need to be aware of.

Hi all,

Context: Before I moved to the US, I closed my mutual fund investment account with RBC, but left my Visa and Savings Account open with them. As such, they charge me a monthly fee for my account, which would have been credited (mutli-product discount) if i had an investment. I just had the idea of starting a small GIC investment with them to avoid paying the monthly account fees.

Obviously if this will bring on other complications it's not worth it for me. But if they will just add the interest from the GIC to the NR4 they already send me than it's all good. Simplicity is the reasons why i closed my TFSA and non-RRSP investment accounts before moving.

Thanks in advance
nelsona

Re: Taxes on Canadian GIC if I live in the US

Post by nelsona »

This is not a problem. This is simple interest, which will not be taxable in Canada, only US, while resident.

And remember, unlike Canada, you do not need to declare the interest yearly, you can choose to only report the interest when it is paid out, at maturity.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
minster

Re: Taxes on Canadian GIC if I live in the US

Post by minster »

Thanks Nelsona! I went ahead and opened a GIC account.