TN visa and leaving US back to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

marie999

TN visa and leaving US back to Canada

Post by marie999 »

Hi there.
I have worked in the US for more than 10 years on TN visas. I thought that when I returned to Canada to become a Canadian resident / US non-resident that I was considered a 'long term permanent resident' and would have to file form: I-407 (abandonment of lawful permanent resident status - Homeland Security) and form: 8854 (IRS expatriation form).
After researching this further it looks like as the TN is not a 'permanent resident' visa, so I don't have to file either form which is great.

Is this correct?

Also does that mean I simply file a 1040 for the 2018 year (if I leave this year) and that's it? How does the IRS know that's my last form?

Thank you for any advice.
nelsona

Re: TN visa and leaving US back to Canada

Post by nelsona »

That’s about it.
It nay not be your last return since you no doubt have pension income to declare at some future date on a 1040NR.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D