Applying for US Social Security Spousal Benefit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

exPenn

Applying for US Social Security Spousal Benefit

Post by exPenn »

The Situation: My wife was born and lived and worked in the US for 30 years, then moved to Canada when she married me (Canadian, non-USC). She renounced her USC in 2013. Next year she will be applying for her US Social Security benefit (she is already receiving CPP and OAS). My understanding is that I am entitled to a Spousal Benefit from Social Security equal to one half of whatever she receives after WEP is applied to her benefit.
The question is: how do I apply for this Spousal Benefit. The Social Security website only says that you should apply for your own SS benefit at the same time as your spouse applies. Then, if your personal benefit, based on your work record is less than the Spousal Benefit, you will automatically receive the Spousal Benefit. However, a valid Social Security number is required to even begin the online application process for a SS benefit. How can someone who has never lived or worked in the US and has no SS number apply for the Spousal Benefit? Has anyone been through this process lately?
P.S. I know this question is more appropriate for the Keats Connelly forum, but it seems to be permanently shut down.
nelsona

Re: Applying for US Social Security Spousal Benefit

Post by nelsona »

This is as good a place as any to ask that.

http://www.crevelingandcreveling.com/bl ... l-security

You are eligible. They may have to issue you an SSN for record keeping purposes. SSA will need to be contacted directly. The border offices are ususlly more in the know about such matters.

Btw, if your spouse WORKED for 30 year in US, she likely is exempt from WEP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D