US Canadian Dual Citizen reporting Canadian EI income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mbert

US Canadian Dual Citizen reporting Canadian EI income

Post by mbert »

I am a US/Canadian dual citizen and received Canadian EI income in 2017 while living in Canada. I was wondering how I would go about reporting this on a 1040. From looking around at similar threads

viewtopic.php?t=7414
viewtopic.php?t=9343
viewtopic.php?t=11509

my understanding is that this should be reported as Unemployment compensation on line 19, and appropriate tax credits should be claimed on Form 1116. However, this seems somewhat contradictory to what I am reading from the IRS https://www.irs.gov/individuals/employe ... mpensation

[quote]
Unemployment compensation generally includes any amounts received under the unemployment compensation laws of the United States [b]or of a state[/b]. It includes state unemployment insurance benefits and benefits paid to you by a state or the District of Columbia from the Federal Unemployment Trust Fund. It also includes railroad unemployment compensation benefits, but not worker's compensation.
[/quote]
[i]emphasis mine[/i]

Possibly my confusion stems from my interpretation of state, which I'm assuming here refers to a U.S. state and not a state in the generic sovereign sense. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

[u]Addendum[/u]
I don't believe this is relevant but during 2018 I relocated and am now a resident of the U.S.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your source also said "Any unemployment compensation received must be included in your income."Foreign income has to be allocated *somewhere*, line 19 is the best place.

When IRS says "generally" that means they aren't giving every single type of worldwide income that might go on that line.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mbert

Post by mbert »

Great, thanks for the clarification nelsona!
baxygi

Re: US Canadian Dual Citizen reporting Canadian EI income

Post by baxygi »

US Canadian share this article that has the details on this it was good to read among the all aspect that was good. I have to check the all details that were on https://www.bestessayservicereviews.com/ this has the all formation on this that was good to read on this part.