Canadian corp contractor in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

llebmj

Canadian corp contractor in US

Post by llebmj »

I have a CDN corporation that I use for IT contract work. I have just started a 15 month contract in the US, whereby I travel each week to the US and home to Canada for weekends.
I understand that if I am in the US for more than 182 days in any 12 months, then my corp is subject to the US taxes and files an 1120F due to a PE.
The question is, do I also as an individual need to file a 1040NR as I was in the US for more than 182 days, or would the treaty still look at me as a non resident. If I have to file, would I include my management salary issued from my CDN corp?
Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You would still be non-resident as an individual, by treaty. However, the income you earned (paid to your self) would be subject to US tax (and perhaps state tax), reported on a 1040NR. You would then use that tax as a credit on your CDn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D