RSP reporting requirement

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

xiaoice

RSP reporting requirement

Post by xiaoice »

Still have the RSP account in Canada. Any reporting requirements? I seems after 2014, no forms required at all?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nope.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
xiaoice

Post by xiaoice »

Even with the fact that 2017 is my first tax year reporting to IRS, I don't need to report RRSP? Should I report it as foreign financial assets on the form 8938? Thank you.
waterwingz

Post by waterwingz »

[quote="nelsona"]Nope.[/quote]
Really?

I'm pretty sure that when the 8891 reporting requirement went away, the 8938 did not. Sure - there are thresholds but you need to be aware of it.

Also there is the FBAR stuff ... also quite sure you need to worry about that. Worry about it a lot actually.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

waterwingz is correct.

Further evidence to not ask/answer questions in April.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D