Substanitially equivalent medical services availability

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Canadian Newbie

Substanitially equivalent medical services availability

Post by Canadian Newbie »

The CRA allows medical travel in cases when travel is over 40km and "substantially equivalent" services are not available within 40km.
We moved to BC in 2017. We both have previous serious medical issues and felt it would be better to have a family doctor that we could rely on that we could build a relationship with. No family doctors were available within 40 km however, there are walk in clinics. We currently travel around 50km one way to the family doctor we were able to obtain.

I researched "substantially equivalent" and there is not much on it.
I was wondering what you folks thought about the travel qualifying. Under audit, I suppose the CRA would argue that "substanitally equivalent" services were available at the clinics. The credit would save us about $400....small amount but I was just curious what you experts thought.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would be consulting a forum that deals with Cdn tax issues.

Generally though, a letter from your family doctor (I would use the term primary car physician in any correspondence) attesting to the fact that equivalent service was not available in your area could be required by CRA. She would be in best position to make that determination.

Since this is a cross-border forum, and your question didn't really fall under that , I will add that for IRS purposes, almost any travel for medical reasons is deductible.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Canadian Newbie

Post by Canadian Newbie »

Sorry about that. I will not ask any questions in the future that strictly pertain to either US or Canada taxation and limit the questions to cross border.

As always, thanks for the response. I will see if my doctor can provide me with a letter.
vikiely

Re: Substanitially equivalent medical services availability

Post by vikiely »

good topic for discussion
Dinnyrishell

Post by Dinnyrishell »

Hello. They found some problems in my thyroid gland. The doctor says that this is due to improper nutrition and recommends avoiding stress. And yes, I will need to go to the attending physician quite far away if the presence of a tumor is confirmed. Do you have any tips?
Jomaryngs

Post by Jomaryngs »

It is very difficult when you need to receive medical services away from home. I recommend you try Ayurvedic medicine. The central point of the Ayurvedic nutrition system is the daily routine, in which there are 3 meals, between which ideally 5 hours pass. Thanks to this, the body completely assimilates food. The slags that lead to diseases do not have time to appear. All 6 flavors are represented in any Ayurvedic food—Healthy and, above all, delicious food that unites body and soul. Thus, ayurveda https://www.alveda.life/ helps, if not in the treatment, then in preventing any of the diseases.
GroilAce

Post by GroilAce »

Hi there. It’s an interesting topic to discuss indeed.
GroilAce

Post by GroilAce »

GroilAce wrote:
> Hi there. It’s an interesting topic to discuss indeed.
But I guess there won’t be many of us who know how it works. Personally, I’m new to this, so I’m still trying to figure out everything. Tbh, recently I’ve begun to pay close attention to my health and general well-being cause, you know, I’ve not ever had flu. So, I thought nothing could bother me until the moment I was diagnosed with ED. Tbh, there’s nothing good to tell about it except for this treatment https://www.pillpal.to/men-s-health-179 ... 38705.html that helps me so much. I have a great doctor, so I hope he will help me. Anyway, health is worth everything in this problem because it’s even more limited than time. Think of it.