Can TN open a company in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sos

Can TN open a company in US

Post by sos »

Currently, I am hired an agent as a regular employee. My question is can I open my own company in US then sign the contract with this agent? or I have to open company in Canada? For sure, the reason is for tax.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

You can incorporate a company in the U.S.

However, whether it is beneficial or not depends on your residential status in Canada and other factors.
Mark
sos

Post by sos »

Thanks Mark. I bit confused for this. If I open a company in US, then the contract will be signed between "my company" and the US agent. How can I renew my TN? do I sign a letter to hire myself come to US to work? or the agent should provid a letter to hire me?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The TN letter you present at the bordr should say that the US firm is hiring you, plain and simple.

The issue of how you are paid is not germane to getting your TN.

Having a US firm pay your corporation does not imply that you are self-sponsoring your TN (whicch is not allowed). The issue would be if YOUR company was sponsoring YOU on a TN.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ususer

Post by ususer »

Mark T Serbinski CA CPA wrote:You can incorporate a company in the U.S.

However, whether it is beneficial or not depends on your residential status in Canada and other factors.
Mark, would not operating the corporation be violation of TN status ("work for a particular employer")??
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

as long as YOU are named in the TN letter, the manner in which you are paid will not impact the legitimacy of your TN.

TN status allows for corp-to-corp relationship 9ie. being paid by 1099). H1 does not.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ususer

Post by ususer »

nelsona wrote:as long as YOU are named in the TN letter, the manner in which you are paid will not impact the legitimacy of your TN.

TN status allows for corp-to-corp relationship 9ie. being paid by 1099). H1 does not.
Thanks Nelson,
In other words, you are allowed to
1) open a US corporation,
2) be its owner/shareholder/ operate it,
3) however - the corporation services are limited to those specified by your TN (for example, System Analyst services)??
Is that right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Again, these are immigration questions.

The TN letter must list YOU as the TN worker, not your company. As has now been repeated 3 times, how you are paid does not matter immigration-wise.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I think if you registered a US corporation that can operate any kind of business, but you are on TN as a Systems Analyst, you still can only perform Systems Analyst related activities, no more than that.