FBAR in the year of Expatriation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Stevecanada

FBAR in the year of Expatriation

Post by Stevecanada »

Until May, 2019, I was a dual US/Canadian citizen and a long time resident of Canada. In May, 2019, I gave up my US citizenship (expatriated at a US consulate). So I am now just a Canadian citizen and resident, with no financial ties to the US. My first question: For 2019, should I report the highest bank balances up to the day I gave up my US citizenship on my FBAR, or should I report the highest balance for all of 2019? Second question: I opened two accounts later in 2019 (after I gave up my US citizenship) - do I have to report those accounts on my FBAR? Any help would be much appreciated.
nelsona

Re: FBAR in the year of Expatriation

Post by nelsona »

Yes. report for 2019 as if you were USC all year. Does it really matter?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Stevecanada

Re: FBAR in the year of Expatriation

Post by Stevecanada »

You are correct - its doesn't make any difference to me which way this is done. I was just trying to figure out if there was any clear direction from the IRS or U.S. Treasury on this situation. It feels kind of weird to report accounts which I opened after giving up my US citizenship, but if that is the safer / accepted way of doing this, that's what I will do. Thanks again for your help!