Claiming Dependent on both Canadian & US return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

PurelyRavage

Claiming Dependent on both Canadian & US return

Post by PurelyRavage »

Hi im inquiring if i can claim my son on my canadian taxes who was born there in may 2019, but my husband who is american can claim him on his in US? My son has been in us for 6 months and is a citizen through his father (passport and crba). We cam to us through k1 visa July 2019 i have my green card so we will file MFJ. im still getting my maternity pay so wondering if i should claim that as foreign income too. Thanks
nelsona

Re: Claiming Dependent on both Canadian & US return

Post by nelsona »

Each set of taxes you file are independent of each other. You clim what you can in Canada based on Cdn rules, and you clim what you can in US based on US rules. This includes both income and deductions.

Since you will be filing MFJ, you will need to report ALL income from 2019 on your US return. You will need to report CDn income earned before departure on your Cdb return, and your mat leave should be having 25% withheld since you are no longer resident of canada
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
adeboloj

Re: Claiming Dependent on both Canadian & US return

Post by adeboloj »

Thank you Nelsona,
Quick question though I am still doing research on this forum, here is my situation.
I understand the two country's taxes are independent of each other but when looking at my taxes I seems not to understand this area.
I will be filling MFJ, have income in both countries (spouse and rental income). But I sold a rental home during the departure year and my residence turned to a rental property.
On my 1040, i was if i sold a house during the departure year, is this question asking if i sold a house in Canada or U.S. (I do not have any property in U.S), also am assuming property sold will only be reported to CRA taxes?
The other question is depreciation, I have seen many people depreciated their rental property yearly to reduce taxes but i never do that based on advise from a friend and was told to wait till when the property is sold. Will depreciation etc be done on my Canadian income tax assuming the question on property sold during departure year is only applicable to Canada.

Thank you