Digital Moose Lounge Expat Survival Day Mar 4 Santa Clara CA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

worryfreeinvestor

Digital Moose Lounge Expat Survival Day Mar 4 Santa Clara CA

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

This Digital Moose Lounge Canadian networking group holds this event every year. It covers both tax and immigration issues. Anyone have any experience with the tax section of the event? Is it worthwhile? The tax accountants presenting are from Keats Connelly ("The Border Guide"). (Not as good as Serbinski, I'll bet!)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Depends what you call "serbinski".
Since I don't participate, it won't be as good as what I post. I willsay that I genearlly agree with Keats take on almost all matters, as opposed to Mark.

"serbinski" hardly posts here, so "this" is not serbinski.

However, $55 is a lot cheaper than serbinski.

Don't forget, that first year issues are complicated, but really don't matter thereafter.

The real long-term issues for Cdns in US, are : dealing with RRSPs, RESPs, off-shore investments, dealng with renatls in canada, and preparing for possible return (ie. 401(k), inadvisability of Roths, selling your US home).

Go, as a networking opportunity, but don't expect to be able to go home and do your taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

I just meant that since Serbinski is kind enough to host the forum, which must cost his business something, I wanted to express some gratitude to him!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... then save the $55 bucks it'll cost to see keats, and pay it to serbinski to offset the cost of him doing your returns.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D