Moving to Canada - huge potential obstacle Help!

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thanks JG, was hoping you would explain it so clearly.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rapchik

Post by rapchik »

Thanks JG and Nelsona. My US corporation was originally a C Corp. I made a Sub Chapter S election which I can easily rescind and make it a C Corp again. Would that change anything from the Canada perspective then? Would that affect the Cash Balance Plan contribution treatment in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would not change the treatment. You can only have the US firm contribute to a US pension for the least of (a) 5 years, or (b) when you switch to a Cdn corporation (which I'm pretty sure you will end up needing to do sooner, based on JG's comments).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rapchik

Post by rapchik »

nelsona in the tax treaty technical explanation document if says that the pension deduction which is available for up to 5 years is not available to self-employed people. Would that include me?

Also, based on what LGCA said, my question is if I switch to a C Corp and since I am temporarily (i.e. <5 years) assigned to work in Canada: Can my C corp not pay me a US salary which is deductible to the C Corp for Canadian tax purposes?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Changing it back to a C corp would help you a lot in the tax treatment especially claiming foreign tax credits since you would be getting a salary and the salary would be taxes as such on both sides allowing you to claim FTC. However as Nelson explained you will still need to set up a payroll in Canada because the salary in CND sourced even if it was paid by a US C corp so yes C corp is good but it has to open up a payroll account in Canada for you.
JG
rapchik

Post by rapchik »

Thanks JGCA. So the scenario would work like this? Using $100,000 for ease of numbers:

C Corp earns $100,000
Corp Pays me $60,000 salary (taxed in US and Canada, where will the primary income
tax be paid on US return or US return?)
Corp Puts $40,000 in Defined Benefit Plan
C Corp Net income $0 (so no Corporate taxes in US or Canada)

On the $60,000 salary:
Is this considered US salary or Canada salary/? I have to pay payroll taxes in US or Canada or both? If it is Canadian salary then how can I be an employee of the US Corp wth no US salary?

Will the $40,000 retirement plan contribution deduction be allowed in Canada or will I be disqualified (considered self employed)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are being paid as an employee of your corporation, so you are not self-employed.
You aren't self-employed right now, which is why your corporation able to fund a pension for you, rather than using a SEP.

I think I have stated sufficiently that you have this option for 5 years if it is paid by a US corporation. IF/WHEN you set up the Cdn corp, there are other vehicles you can use to fund a pension, albeit Cdn.