H-1 Status and Canadian Dependants

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Comb

H-1 Status and Canadian Dependants

Post by Comb »

My wife is in states on H1 and myself and two kids on H4 but after living for one month on H4 i came back with one of the child to canada .We all are PR of canada What are the the tax obligations in simple lay mans word Can i apply for ITIN ,should I..? Can she claim us all as her dependants from tax point of view ..?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

canadian residents are entitled to be claimed as dependants by US taxpayers on their 1040.

Of course, this will merely reduce her US tax, thus increasing her Cdn tax (yes, she will have to pay Cdn tax on her US income because of you living in Canada).

You will all need ITINs which will be issued when she files her return. she does not have to file a joint return with you to get you asa dependant.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D