Cashed in RRSP - Help on US Reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Only 16b goes on Line 1.

Your are going to have to hash this out for youself, or get online with turbotax at this point, I prefer to be a philosopher than a mechanic.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jstone

Post by jstone »

I think I'm good now. Thanks for your help.

On the mechanics topic I did discover how easy it was to let Turbotax generate my 1040X's for me. I easily generated it for 2004. And tested it out for 2003 as well. I could easily go back all the way to 1997 if I wanted to.

Thanks again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

A 1040X is blank. It's the statements that you will attach that are the hard part.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jstone

Post by jstone »

I thought that I had to fill in the 1040X with all of the appropriate details (AGI, Deductions, etc.) with a delta of 0 - do I not have to do that?

I have my yearly balances of my RRSP. So I thought it would be easy just to type up a simple statement in compliance with 2003-23 with beginning of year balances on each and year-end on the 2003 form.

But again, that's if I want to amend all of them. Your input was to only do it for 2004. To be honest I'm still on the fence - but will decide shortly.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I thought that I had to fill in the 1040X with all of the appropriate details (AGI, Deductions, etc.) with a delta of 0 - do I not have to do that?
Not if you are only adding a form/statement.