Canadian with Green Card. Should I get dual citizenship?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jonliscdn

Canadian with Green Card. Should I get dual citizenship?

Post by jonliscdn »

I'm a Canadian and a US green card holder. I've been living in the US for 17 years. I'm married to an American and I have two young American children. I own nothing in Canada but I will be receiving an inheritance from Canadian relatives of $100,000. Are there any tax implications if I decide to become a dual citizen?
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

If you plan to live in US forever, probably not. If you ever move back to Canada as a US Citizen, you are stuck filing US taxes forevermore. Makes it impractical or difficult for things like RESP, TFSA.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since your spouse is already US citizen, there is little advantage to remaining on GC. Get your US citizenship, and you can always revoke it later. Cheaper than renewing GC every 10 years.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

One further advantage of US citizenship is that tax free transfers between spouses on death are only available if both spouses are U.S. citizens.
Mark