TN Claim Non-residence

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sos

TN Claim Non-residence

Post by sos »

I am working in US as TN ( first year), my plan is to go back canada after couple of years. So I donot want to take out my investment ( RRSP and mutual fund) to US. Is that possible to claim non-residence? Your suggestion is appreciated. BTW, I do not have house or family in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are non-resident.

having some nebulous palns to return to canada does not meet the 'intent' standard.

Your other ties are not important, and your presence, and job in uS make you a US tax resident, since the day you moved.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sos

thanks Nelsona, I asked my bank

Post by sos »

(CIBC) to change address to US, I get warned after I chang it, I can not buy any Canadian mutual fund. Should I keep any mail address in Canada? Will it be a big issue? Sounds to me there is a lot of limitation across border.

Thanks again Nelsona, you are super!!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I do not promote lying about where one lives.

As a resident of US you cannot purchase Cdn-based mutual funds outside your RRSP. And CIBC may have a blanket refusal even for RRSP clients.

TD waterhouse does not.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sos

Post by sos »

Thanks again. Do I need to pay US tax for my RRSP, stock and mutual fund gains of my Canadian account?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Probably, and Cdn taxon departure.