Buying US Mutual funds

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rg1495

Buying US Mutual funds

Post by rg1495 »

Fellow canucks,
I work in the US and live in a border canadian town. I used to live in the US before and had a brokerage account with Etrade. I still have that account and have changed the address to a CDN address and buy/sell stocks through it.

Since, I earn in USD, I am looking to buy mutual funds in USD. Can I buy US mutual funds(vanguard, fidelity?) being a CANADIAN RESIDENT?. Or will this be an issues with revenue canada/IRS ? What are my options for investing USD as a canadian resident? I know I could open a TD waterhouse account in USD but the choice of funds in USD is very limited and ofcourse the high fund fees. Companies like Vanguards charge less than 1% fund fees while most cdn funds charge 2-3% of fund fees.

Looking for some help from you guys.

much worried.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The issue is with the SEC and its Provincial counterpart.

Brokers in US are not allowed to deal with Cdn residents. They are not licensed in your Province.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rg1495

Post by rg1495 »

Thanks. What if I use a US friend's address to buy the mutual funds? Would that be considered illegal or am I inviting myself to trouble?
The US mutual fund companies don't care whose address it is as long as it is a US address.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Brokers in US are not allowed to deal with Cdn residents. They are not licensed in your Province.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would add that there is a pretty good website set up aby a Cdn resident who talks about investing in US: bylo.org