unpaid amount under HBP in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canadian

unpaid amount under HBP in Canada

Post by canadian »

Hi there,

I was a resident of Canada only for January 2005 and resident of US for the entire 2005.
I have unpaid amount under Canada's HBP. According to "Emigrants and Income Tax guide" I should include unpaid amount in my income for the year I emigrated.

My question is:
Do I have to include unpaid HBP amount as my income for US tax return as well? And if yes, could I deduct any tax paid to Canada on this sum?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are correct that unless you repay the amount to your RRSP, you must include the unpaid HBP your Cdn departure return.

This amount does not meet any definition of US income however, so it is a not declareable US.

The tax you pay however is creditable against your Cdn income that you report on yor 2005 return.

Or, since you are paying the extra tax in 2006, you could simply use it as a deduction on your 2006 return next spring.

The foresign tax credit has to be ties to specific income. However the foreign tax deduction does not (but iyt can only be a deduction in the year you actually pay it).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
one_day_at_a_time

Post by one_day_at_a_time »

As an emigrant (to the US) in 2007, I have included the unpaid HBP amount in my income for the year on my Cdn Tax Return. The result is tax owing, which, of course, I will pay when I submit my return. And in effect, then I can take a foreign tax deduction against my 2008 US tax return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yup. Good strategy.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
one_day_at_a_time

Can you tell me on what form and/or line would Iinclude this paid tax (for the sake of argument if the US '08 return does not differ from the US '07 return)
Thanks
one_day_at_a_time

[quote="one_day_at_a_time"]Can you tell me on what form and/or line would Iinclude this paid tax (for the sake of argument if the US '08 return does not differ from the US '07 return)
Thanks[/quote]

I found my answer.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Schedule A