Form 8965 for Canadian

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ethanpurdy

Form 8965 for Canadian

Post by ethanpurdy »

Hi,

I'm still debating if 8965 is really required for Canadian residents. I called the IRS and the person I spoke with there said that because Canada has health coverage this form wouldn't need to be filed. 8965 with exemption C is necessary if you're outside the US for the year but don't have health coverage that meets minimum essential coverage.

Does anyone know if OHIP is considered minimum essential coverage in the eyes of the IRS?
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

I think you're safer with taking exemption C. I've done that every year and I live in Canada.
OHIP should probably be consider more than adequate, but I think that since it isn't specifically qualified by the ACA, you might have trouble taking the position that you're covered.
Cheers!
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Ethan, I thought you said you already had coverage through your parents?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ethanpurdy

Post by ethanpurdy »

MGeorge,

The reason I was hoping to avoid exemption C and 8965 is the accountant charges $200 for it. So avoiding the form would save a fair bit of money.

Nelsona,

I do have health coverage but the accountant is saying it's not sufficient since I am no longer a resident of the US I can't use the box on Line 61. I think they're wrong since my understanding is I can stay on their insurance regardless of where I live and whether or not I'm a dependent but there has been so much pushback that it's honestly not worth fighting with them anymore.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Wow. This guy doesn't want your future business, obviously.maybe he should go into the insurance business since he fancies himself expert in that (obviously not a tax expert).

There is no such residency restriction on line 61, and there is absolutely no requirement that you be in US to be covered by parents' insurance.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

$200 to fill out form 8965 - sounds like you got one of those "compliance condors" I keep hearing about on the Isaac Brock Society!
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.
ND

Re: Form 8965 for Canadian

Post by ND »

The United States Department of Health and Human Services, the agency responsible for approving plans as MEC, has not approved Canadian universal health care. Where you live is irrelevant.