W2 - to CRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

TN Holder

W2 - to CRA

Post by TN Holder »

Hi,

Which line or box of W2 should be reported to CRA for US income?

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your income, according to CRA rules includes your WAGES, PLUS any 401(K) contributions you made, PLUS any FICA contributions your made.

So, Box 1 + any amount in box 12 relating to 401(k).

CORRECTION: Most do NOT include FICA.

All converted to USD of course, at the yearly rate.
Last edited by nelsona on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Nelson - What about box 14 (Other) such as Group Health insurance paid.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CRA has not published specific guidance on these. Stick to what they have asked for.

Since you will be sending a copy of both your 1040 and your W-2, they can come back for more if they wish.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CORRECTED:

Just to clear up any confusion as to what is in box 1.

Cdns are used to T4's which include ALL income, and then having various dedcutions in other boxes.

On W-2's however, for "Pre-tax" deductions, ie. those taken off at source and considered by IRS to be tax deductions, these arer NOT reported in Box 1. These would include 401(k) and other pension contributions made by the employee as well as medical premiums (medical, dental, vision, Health care FSAs, etc).

Then again, if you live in canada (otherwise you wouldn't be reporting W-2 income) you probably should be opting out of any expensive healthcare package at work. And you probably shouldn't be contributing to a 401(k) either.
Last edited by nelsona on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It appears that not all W-2s have excluded FICA from box 1.

therefore you will have to determine this on your own.
TN Holder

Post by TN Holder »

Nelson , what is FICA?

Thanks
Carson

Post by Carson »

TN Holder wrote:Nelson , what is FICA?

Thanks
FICA includes Social Security and Medicare taxes.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Your income, according to CRA rules includes your WAGES, PLUS any 401(K) contributions you made, PLUS any FICA contributions your made.

So, Box 1 + box 4 + box 6 + any amount in box 12 relating to 401(k).

All converted to USD of course, at the yearly rate.
Just to clear up any confusion, Box 1 on form W2 is Gross income including any social security deductions, but less pension contributions noted in Box 12 (D).

You therefore only need to add back the 401(k) contribution, and not FICA.
Mark
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yeah, I don't know why I thought these weren't included. I guess my medical premiums have gotten so high that they almost equate to FICA :(
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Unfortunately, there is no deduction for social security taxes on the 1040 or anywhere else, unlike the tax credit available for CPP and EI on Canadian returns.
Mark
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is true for employees.

Of course, *some* of the self-employment taxes that one calculates (which are in effect the employer's half of FICA) is deductible on page 1 but that doen'rt apply to W-2 income.
TN Holder

Post by TN Holder »

So, for tax paid to US we should sum up box 2 (federal) and Box 17 (state)?

The result could be used for tax credit. (I mean "The Result multiply proportion of days resident Canada multiply Bank of Canada exchange rate")

Also, I used my move expens as deduction to IRS, can deduct it from CRA as well?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As was mentionned, your credit for Fed and state tax is NOT from your W-2, it is from your return.
TN Holder

Post by TN Holder »

Yes you are right, I ment the sum of federal and state taxes paid based on 1040.

Actually based on new way of income and tax credit calculation I won't owe much to CRA, probably couple of thousands. :D

So many thanks to Mark and Nelson