Rickerbucks: How are NR5's handled?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Rickerbucks: How are NR5's handled?

Post by nelsona »

My wife has been using NR5, and 217 to extract 10-15K of her RRSP virtually tax-free (we have the requisite medical expenses to exceed the 8K standard) for a few years now.

My question is whether or not the PAYOR (TDW in this case) gets a copy of NR5 sent to them directly by CRA.

I seem to recall that Altamira used to have the letter on file yearly, but for the past 2 years, we have had to fax TDW the new NR5 letter when we make our annual withdrawal.

It would seem pretty simple to tie the letter to the file, if it is sent by CRA.

is it?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Rickerbucks

Post by Rickerbucks »

I'll make some inquiries and get back to you

:-)
It's not that I can't SPELL, it's that I can't TYPE
Rickerbucks

Post by Rickerbucks »

No answer yet, I'll follow up tomorrow
Rickerbucks

Post by Rickerbucks »

Reply I got was

"We do not always receive a copy of the letter from CRA and we rely on the client to send a copy of their NR5 to us."

I took from this answer that CRA is not reliable on sending the form.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thanks.
Maybe I'll post my horror story on this when it is all wrapped up. :roll:
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Rickerbucks

Post by Rickerbucks »

If you want to give me a call I'll be happy to see what I can find out. I must confess that even after 19 years in the business I'm not really familiar with this particular item. You have my interest though.