8840 / 8833 Forms

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

adeboloj

8840 / 8833 Forms

Post by adeboloj »

I would like to know when I should file any of these forms.
If I do not meet the presence test i.e. 31 days in the U.S or 183 days in one calendar year, 2016 for example OR neither am a Green card holder of U.S. Do I need to file any of these forms.
If No, when do someone need to complete 8833 or 8840.

Thank you
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why would you need these forms. You are a non-resident. What treaty claim would you be making?
Don't complicate things for nothing.

As to when you might need these, I suggest you do research rather than asking such open ended questions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
adeboloj

Post by adeboloj »

Thank you for your response, then I would assume that these forms are to be filed ONLY when I meet the presence test - in the U.S more than 183 days and i still claim a closer connection to a country that has treaty agreement with United States.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That would not be correct. 8840 cannot be used if you are in US more than 183 days.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
skoper

Post by skoper »

[quote="adeboloj"]Thank you for your response, then I would assume that these forms are to be filed ONLY when I meet the presence test - in the U.S more than 183 days and i still claim a closer connection to a country that has treaty agreement with United States.

Thanks[/quote]

File 8840 if for example you meet SBT of a year in which you were in the US less than 183 days.