ITIN Renewal nightmare/question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sjantzi

ITIN Renewal nightmare/question

Post by sjantzi »

Oct/2016 - Received a letter from IRS stating that my wife and 3 kids ITINs are expiring even though I’ve used them every year for the last 17 years. Kids have no passports so after weighing costs decide to get youngest his driver’s license so we could use as ID for W7 application (other kids already have them)

Mid Nov/2016 – Got company name for local Acceptance Agent from IRS website and paid them to do applications and make certified copies of birth certificates and driver’s license and mailed everything to IRS

Dec 20/2016 – Receive letter from IRS stating certified copies were rejected and new ID would be required to continue the applications. After we mailed them they changed the rules I’m told from the Acceptance Agent.

Jan 4/2017 – After weighing our options we sent the kids original birth certificates and driver’s license via UPS with signature required

Jan 9/2017 – IRS accepted delivery

Feb 10/2017 – Received a letter from IRS stating that since we never sent in the ID (See Jan 9) they were going to cancel the applications on Mar 13/2017

Since then I call every Monday and get the same BS, they haven’t received what they need.

Mar 14/17 – Called IRS and yup they canceled the applications and sent rejection letter. No idea where my kids ID is.
We are now in the process of first placing their birth certificates so we can and get their passports. I have no idea how to move forward on filing my taxes. I cannot believe the incompetence of the IRS. I guess I could file for an extension but I don’t know how to handle my Canadian taxes now since there’s no way I’ll get everything done before tax day
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Have you called the US Tax Advocate?

https://www.irs.gov/advocate
sjantzi

Post by sjantzi »

I wasn't aware of this, thanks