Reporting RRSP withdrawal to the IRS

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eortlund

Reporting RRSP withdrawal to the IRS

Post by eortlund »

Working on US taxes now, and the software is asking me what portion of the RRSP withdrawal is taxable.

My understanding is that for my husband's employer-sponsored RRSP, it's only the growth that is taxable.

For my spousal RRSP, all of it is taxable?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For spouse 100%.
For spousal, as you surely must be aware by now, I have explained dozens of times how to determine the non-taxable portion, so wioll not go through this with you now. Depends on when the contributions were made, was he a US citizen when they were made, when he moved to US, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Yes you have explained it, which is why I knew what values to input for him. Just wasn't sure about my spousal RRSP, but will put down 100% as taxable.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It isn't, but that is up to you if you cannot determine the non-taxable portion.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Two posts up, you said spousal was 100% in your first line. ?

I fiddled with the numbers and it doesn't really change my refund if I input a lower number for my taxable portion of my RRSP withdrawal. It still limits me to the $2000 I get for my 2 kids, and it seems the Canadian tax as covered whatever US tax would be owed.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

OK, I can see I had it backwards. Found this old thread, viewtopic.php?p=35482&highlight=#35482 so will follow that if nothing has changed since 2014.