bank account - with 1 cent interest

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tony

bank account - with 1 cent interest

Post by tony »

1. if an account is not closed but left with $0, does it required tax reporting?
2. if it is closed in mid - year, does it still need to be reporting during that particular taxation year?
3. Now, regarding TFSA. Unfortunately it is closed in Feb. And, in Jan 31, it results with ONLY 1 cent interest. Does it still need to be reported? FBAR + FATCA, correct?

thanks
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi Tony,

Officially, yes the account needs to be reported. On form 8938 (FATCA form) there is a box to check "account closed during the year". The $0.01 interest won't even register because of rounding. If you closed your TFSA and have in the past, been reporting it on 3520/3520A, then I would report it again in 2016 and make sure you check the "final return" box. If you haven't been reporting TFSA on 3520, I wouldn't start for 2016 - there is a lawyer in Canada I know about who proposes that the US wouldn't view a TFSA as a trust.

Cheers!
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.