Is this considered foreign source or US source income?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

speer

Is this considered foreign source or US source income?

Post by speer »

I am a US citizen and a Canadian citizen and am a resident in Canada.

If I was to sell inventory through Amazon FBA in the US would this be considered US source income or foreign? "I" didn't take part in the transaction itself in the states, I simply ship things to Amazon to sell and fulfill for me.

From my understanding of the IRS's definition of US source income, I must be present in the US while partaking in a transaction / business for it to be considered "US source". Inventory may complicate the matter on the exact source of income.

Any input?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I don't think you would have an issue claiming this as Cdn-sourced.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
speer

Post by speer »

Even though the transaction is in the US and changes hands to a US buyer? I am getting conflicting views from others saying this would be US source because its being sold and purchased in the US.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

this is considered "Business Income", which by treaty is sourced by residency unless you have a permanent establishment in US. I wouldn't say you do.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
testone

Post by testone »

I agree. U.S. sourced income, but resourced as foreign under the treaty.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Indeed. Since this income is going to be reported on both returns, the only thing that matter s is treaty sourcing, since that alone will determine how it is tax (or, more correctly, how credits on 1116 will be determined: either Cdn-sourced, or Cdn-sourced by treaty.