FBAR confusion for life insurance reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

puzon23

FBAR confusion for life insurance reporting

Post by puzon23 »

Hi All,

Was wondering if someone can clarify this issue for me.

My father lives abroad and has a life policy for him. It is the type of insurance that has cash value so like an account that accumulates capital gains.

I am listed as beneficiary in case of his death. My understanding is that I do not have to report such account on FBAR or 8938.

So to make it absolutely clear. I have no right to this account or its money at the present time at all, zero, nothing. I have no signatory rights, cannot withdraw anything nor take out a loan from the accumulated cash value. The only thing that I have the right to is in case my father dies, I will get the money and will gain the signatory right to this account.

So, I think this is a case when I do not have to report this account, correct? Anyone care to double assure me in my thinking?

Thanks!