Collecting CPP while U.S. resident - file Cdn tax return?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canroc

Collecting CPP while U.S. resident - file Cdn tax return?

Post by canroc »

I have collected CPP for a full year in 2016 while fully employed in the U.S. as a U.S. resident/ Canadian citizen.

I understand how I report this income in my U.S. return, however do I need to submit a Canadian tax return to show that CPP income?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. Since you informed Service Canada that you are in US (right?), and have filed a departure return for CRA (right?) and have had nothing withheld on your CPP/OAS, you have nothing to report in Canada.

So you know to report this as social security, at the 85% inclusion rate.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
moch

Post by moch »

[quote="nelsona"]No. Since [b]you informed Service Canada that you are in US[/b] (right?), and have [b]filed a departure return for CRA[/b] (right?) and have had nothing withheld on your CPP/OAS, you have nothing to report in Canada.

So you know to report this as social security, at the 85% inclusion rate.[/quote]

Care to point a clueless guy in the right direction? I'm a TN worker as of Jan 2017 and keeping my residency and this is all new to me.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, you are not collecting CPP, so this doesn't apply to you.

As to any other questions PLEASE read/search posts here before asking specific questions. If you live and work in US, and do not return home weekly, you are NOT satisfying the requirements of "keeping your Cdn residency".
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
canroc

Post by canroc »

[quote="nelsona"]No. Since you informed Service Canada that you are in US (right?), and have filed a departure return for CRA (right?) and have had nothing withheld on your CPP/OAS, you have nothing to report in Canada.

So you know to report this as social security, at the 85% inclusion rate.[/quote]

Yes, I informed Service Canada that I am in the U.S., however I do have the CPP deposited in a Canadian bank.

I don't recall if I filed a departure return for CRA. I left in '93 and worked on a TN, then eventually got my Green Card. I might not have ever filed a departure return.
I need to research that.

I do know that I report this in the U.S. as social security.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are fine No Cdn report needed.
juca64

Post by juca64 »

[quote="nelsona"]You are fine No Cdn report needed.[/quote]
Hi
I am new in USA with a TN visa 1/17 how can I have specific information about how to tell Service Canada I amin USA and filling the departure return for CRA?
Also since I do not know if I will stay here for ever probably not how can I keep paying to the CPP since my retirement is planned to be back in Canada?
Thanks for your info.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What do you need to tell service Canada? are you collecting GST or CCTB, or EI? That would be the only reason to notify Cdn government before you file your 2017 tax return in the spring of 2018. The people you rreally need to tel are your banks and brokers.

You cannot elect to pay CPP on work performed in US as an employee. You MUST pay FICA and only FICA.
juca64

Income tax return while having aTN visa and living in USA

Post by juca64 »

[quote="nelsona"]What do you need to tell service Canada? are you collecting GST or CCTB, or EI? That would be the only reason to notify Cdn government before you file your 2017 tax return in the spring of 2018. The people you rreally need to tel are your banks and brokers.

You cannot elect to pay CPP on work performed in US as an employee. You MUST pay FICA and only FICA.[/quote]

Hi thanks for the answer, where can i find answers about where to do the income tax return while I am living and working in USA since January 2017? I am Canadian with house and family in Canada, should I do the 2017 Income tax return in both countries?
Any advice really appreciated.