Various GICs and US PFIC rules

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Canadian Newbie

Various GICs and US PFIC rules

Post by Canadian Newbie »

Hi all-

I read a previous post where it was discussed that a GIC investment in a Canadian bank would not be subject to the PFIC reporting rules to the IRS. It appears that the rules have not changed since that post however one quick question....some banks offer GICs which are based on returns in the market and mutual funds.

Would these GICs be subject to the PFIC rules?
If not I assume I would just report the account on the FBAR and 8938 the same as other time deposit accounts.

Thanks in advance.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hello,

Market-linked GICs would not be considered PFICs. Similar to futures and other contract derivatives - these wouldn't be considered PFICs. I saw a bank suggesting these as a good option for US taxpayers living in Canada.
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.
Canadian Newbie

Post by Canadian Newbie »

[quote="MGeorge"]Hello,

Market-linked GICs would not be considered PFICs. Similar to futures and other contract derivatives - these wouldn't be considered PFICs. I saw a bank suggesting these as a good option for US taxpayers living in Canada.[/quote]

I was hoping that was the answer. I am staying away from mutual funds to avoid the PFIC form.

Thanks for the response!
brianbbc

Post by brianbbc »

what bank was it?
ashwin0731

Post by ashwin0731 »

Hi
Welcome to this forums sites. Here you can find a lot of information about your question. But I have doesn’t have much information about it. For more information please visit here.

<a>MAY 2011 VISA BULLETIN PREDICTIONS <a>