Should 8833 be filed when using CPT-56

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rafa02

Should 8833 be filed when using CPT-56

Post by rafa02 »

USC resident in Canada, and first year with self-employed income.

Using tax software, SE tax is automatically added, and to override this tax requires paper filing. When filing, then I would include the form CPT-56 to exclude the SE tax, and should I also include a 8833?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The exemption of from SE tax is not a tax treaty issue, it is from the Totalization agreement. SE tax is not income tax, it is fica.
The inclusion of CPT-56 will be enough.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

Thank you.
ND

Post by ND »

RE: would include the form CPT-56
note that you don't merely include the form with your tax return. You send the completed form to CRA to stamp and certify and then you include that certified copy with your IRS return.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The stamped form IS the CPT. It is merely a piece of paper until it is duly filled.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

That was EXACTLY the point I made in my last post - before your last comment- to original poster's comment that "When filing, then I would include the form CPT-56 to exclude the SE tax"
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Until it is stamped by Service Canada, it isn't a CPT. That was my original answer days before.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

...until then it is just an application form.