Cdn non resident/student tax question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

usagirl

Cdn non resident/student tax question

Post by usagirl »

Hi!

I'm a Canadian who has been living out of Canada since 2001. I am not earning any income as I am currently completely my degree through distance education from a Cdn university.

I am unsure if I am supposed to be paying any kind of taxes. Am I still supposed to file tax returns? If I have to file tax returns for earlier than the previous year, is that possible?

Secondly, is there any particular procedure to declare yourself as a non resident Canadian? I own no assets in Canada.

I would appreciate any advice to my queries! Thank you!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Generally, since you ahve no income, you are not required to file a tax return, neither in Canada, nor US.

To determine what your tax residency status is, however, since you say you are a student, living in US, not a student at a US school, I would have to know on what immigration status you are in the states on.

Those leaving canada, typically file a 'departure' return in the year they leve Canada, following the"emigrants' guide for that year.

Again, if you had no assets, and no income in 2001, you are fine.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
usagirl

Post by usagirl »

Thanks for your reply Nelsona. I am living in the US on an H4 visa (married to an H1 visa holder). I wonder if that changes anything?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, you should be filing a US tax return joint with your husband, even if you have no income, as this will reduce his US taxes.

You are a US tax resident, so have nothing to report in Canada, unless you are getting grant money, which would need to be reported in both countries.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D