US & Canadian tax issue for Korean citizen with Canadian

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

echung

US & Canadian tax issue for Korean citizen with Canadian

Post by echung »

Hi,
I am a Korean citizen with Canadian PR status. I was working in the US from 1999 - Dec 2004 (working on work visa; did not apply for US GC or citizenship); moved to Canada and started new job Jan 2005. I obtained Canadian PR status in 2003 but went back to the US to work. Was deemed non-resident by CCRA for the period I was in the US.
Now, I continue to get income from my US project work (paid on W-2 with all income taxes, social security and Medicare deducted) - this is deposited in my US bank account.
My question:
1) how much credit on my Canadian tax return will I get for the US income taxes, Medicare and social security I paid in 2005?
2) Before coming to Canada last year, I sold some investments and incurred a capital loss, 3000 of which I can claim on my US return. The US alllows youto carry forward this loss indefenitely till it is used up - I still have 20K of losses to use up - can I get credit for these in my Canadian return? If yes, how much credit?
3) What US paperwork do I need to file with the IRS?
4) For my Canadian taxes, do I need a tax pro or can I do it myself using a computerized tax prepare software?

Many thanks,

Elaine