US Service firm charge GST/HST for Ontario clients?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Moving2Canada

US Service firm charge GST/HST for Ontario clients?

Post by Moving2Canada »

Hi, I need to know if as a US based LLC with clients in Ontario, do we charge for GST/HST? Presumably, we then need to pay the Government by filing a Canadian tax return and paying or is there some sort of GST/HST exemption?

Looking on the CRA website I can see a witholding tax exemption but the GST/HST requirement is less clear - we would be above the $30k small supplier threshold.

If we must register/collect/pay, then do we only collect on the amounts billed in excess of $30k in the quarter?

Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Moving2Canada

Post by Moving2Canada »

Thank you. I don't see any exemptions but it looks like it comes down to whether we are 'carrying on a business in Canada', which raises a whole new set of questions.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gl/p-051 ... P413_41376

They provide various examples of firms that are or are not 'carrying on a business in Canada'

How do I obtain an opinion as to whether or not we are?
-Small consulting firm based in the US
-Work performed in the US, possibly 1-2 visits to client per year
-Only one client in Canada (what happens if we get a second?)
-We do not intend to solicit new Canadian clients, but if approached we wouldn't turn them down
-'Where Payment is made...' I'm not sure if this refers to where the cheques are cut or where they are deposited?

If we determine that we are not carrying on a business but then later the CRA determines otherwise, can we go back and charge GST/HST to our client?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1-800-959-5525
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D