UPDATED: Various investments if move back to CAN..

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well there a couple of things you have to watch

Who is to say that your investment account will grow 'tax-free' until you take it out?

Almost all MFs and many stocks have dividends, and one is not always prepered to HOLD a particular investment for the duration that they will have an account. And who is to say that one will not want to switch to bonds from time to time. All these will give rise to taxable events year after year.

I just want to be on record as stating that I in no way endorse funding an IRA with non-deductible contributions. This never makes sense UNLESS, form time to time (a) one cannot Roth due to income limits, or (b) one is returning to canada and does not like the idea of collapsing the roth soon after departure.

Otherwise a Roth is always better than non-deductible IRA.

An IRA with $2,000 of non-deductible contributions is one thing. An IRA that was <i>entirely funded </i> with after-tax contributions, is best simply converted to a Roth as sson as possible, or better yet --should not have been funded in the first place.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
Skoorb

Post by Skoorb »

Gotcha! :D