US broker for Nova Scotia resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

BenR

US broker for Nova Scotia resident

Post by BenR »

I am a US citizen (now also Canadian since 1999) residing in Nova Scotia since 1993. I have three legacy accounts with Wells Fargo Advisors, one of them a testamentary trust established by my late mother for the benefit of my sister, who still lives in our home town in the US. I am the designated trustee of this account. My financial advisor at WF has been a trusted advisor to my family for decades, and I have wanted to keep the accounts with him.

I have been able to use my sister's mailing address until recently to get by. Somehow, someone in the bowels of WF discovered my Canadian residence, and now they have frozen the trust account (but curiously have not yet connected this with the other two, although it is probably only a matter of time). So now I either have to find another trustee or move the account to a firm that can do business with Canadian residents. I really don't want to do the former, since trustee fees will deplete the account over time.

Are there any US-based brokerage firms or banks, including online ones, that can do business with a Nova Scotia resident? TD Bank and RBC both provide cross-border banking, but I don't believe they can do trust accounts.